Friday, February 17, 2012

My Ecological Footprint


For my Environmental Science class I have been asked to calculate my ecological footprint. I never really thought about how many planets it would take to support my lifestyle. According to the results on http://www.footprintnetwork.org/ the activities in my lifestyle if everyone lived like me, there would be the need of 4.4 Planet Earths to provide enough resources. I am a little surprised about this. I always thought I was doing ok. I drive a VW and I don’t drive very far. I try to recycle and I conserve water. I guess I need to take a better look at the way I have been living. 19.6 global acres of the Earths productive area is needed to support my lifestyle. I need to take a good look at what I can do to improve my lifestyle, especially concerning what I eat. I should consider reducing the amount of animal-products I eat by half. If everyone could cut animal-products consumed by half than 645 million fewer global acres would be used. That’s a lot. Not to mention better for your health and well-being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment