Monday, March 5, 2012

My Earth Resources


I spent the last 24 hours recording everything I see and recognize as my earth resources. I didn't realize how many things would be recorded. I made some list's and organized the items into 8 sections:

A.    Food & Drink
Chicken Breast
Coffee
Diet Coke
Non-dairy creamer
Orange (fresh produce)
Progresso Soup
Sweet n Low
Water
Zone Bar
This is where I work.
B.     Housing and other buildings
City Hall
My House
Post Office
RCC Parking Garage
RCC Quadrangle Building
Walgreens
Work Parking Garage
C.     Transportation and roads
14th Street
9th Street
Arlington
My Favorite Project: Magnolia Underpass
Photo by idlainc.com
Brockton
Central
Highway 91
Magnolia
Riverside Ave
VW Beetle
Yellowstone Drive
D.    Clothing
Bra
Dress
Pajamas
Shoes
Underwear
This is the textbook.
E.     School supplies
Notes
Paper
Pen
Textbook
F.      Personal Care products
Blow Dryer
Cotton Ball
Crest
Hair Brish
Jergens Lotion
Make-up
Noxzema Face Wash
Q-Tips
Shampoo & Conditioner
Tooth Brush
G.    Leisure activities
This is my work computer.
Computer
Email
Facebook
Radio
Red Box
Telephone
TV
H.    Other
Dishsoap
Paper Towels
Tide
Toilet Paper
Windex


For my Environmental Science class I am going to pick one of the items from the list above to research. For this assignment I pick Progresso Soup. My Favorite is the New England Clam Chowder.


Check out the website:
http://progressosoup.com/


Progresso soup is made from authentic recipes and with the highest quality ingredients. Over 100 years ago Progresso Foods started. Vincent Taormina first imported foods from Italy to meet the need for high quality ingredients familiar to Italian Americans. The Progresso label was introduced in 1927. Progresso Soup now has 40 different varieties with 100 calories or less per serving. 
Progresso soup is sold by can. Each can is two servings. But actually on can is more a single serving size. I like to buy the soup when it is on sale. The can of soup can retail for as high as $3.79 per can. I have come to realize that the stores rotate Progresso Soup being on sale. The cheapest I have found the soup is for $1.00 per can. I love the soup and will usually always wait for it to be on sale before I buy it. You can buy Progresso Soup at the grocery store or your local Target or Walgreens. You can buy it almost anywhere food is sold. It’s definitely a want but if you replaced your meals with a can of soup then of course the soup could be considered a need.
Can foods now have expiration dates. I eat the soup up so I don’t have to worry about the soup spoiling. However it would be a good idea to rotate can goods so that the older cans are used first. If they expire and the contents inside seem inedible it is a good idea to dispose of the contents, rinse out the can and put the can into the recycling bin. The soup is in high demand. How do I know this….well when its goes on sale it’s always out of stock. I also notice a lot of people eat it on a regular basis. So the production of the soup creates jobs. The price makes is good for the economy. It keeps a good flow of supply and demand. The down side to the soup is that it is individually packaged. After the individual use, most people toss the can into the trash. If people would rinse the can out and recycle it, it would be a less negative effect on the environment. 

2 comments:

  1. Great job Kirsten! You did a wonderful job making your lists and researching your one product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job on your lists! WOW - you are a busy girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete